bmc brewing is looking for a Head Brewer to help create our brand and establish our brewery/taproom in Pittsboro, NC. She/he will be responsible for all aspects of beer production and daily brewery operations, as well as managing brewery staff and volunteers, the development of recipe formulation and ingredient sourcing/purchasing, equipment management, meeting production timelines and goals, and managing resources.
- Help in the establishment and adherence to QA/QC laboratory protocols, record keeping of production quantities and process control parameters, equipment cleaning and maintenance, selection of new and replacement equipment, yeast management program, and final product packaging.
- Selection and sourcing of quality raw materials including hops, grains, yeasts, and adjuncts, with an eye toward consistently in flavor and perception of individual beers.
- New beer formulation and test batch brewing.
- Maintenance of all necessary health and safety requirements for the brewhouse, including compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations where required.
- Management and scheduling of all production to assure constant product availability and establishment of production goals and growth. This includes beer inventory management and control of all necessary raw ingredients and packaging materials.
- Involvement in budget and expense review for all aspects of brewery production as well as input into constant brewery improvement efforts to minimize expenses and resource utilization and maximize productivity.
- Act as point of contact and professional representative for the brewery as necessary, as well as brand ambassador with media/customers, as well as representing the brewery at trade associations and business-related meetings.
- Interact with and help supervise all taproom staff, along with regular training and education of the taproom staff in how our beer is produced, with emphasis on each style of beer we offer and how differences in production/yeast strain/malt and hop selection influence flavors and perceptions. Participate and help in organizing regular sensory panels will also be part of the necessary training responsibilities.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of production brewery experience, ideally with a degree or certification in brewing or a closely related field (Biology, chemistry, biochemistry). Lack of a degree is not disqualifying, depending on past brewing experience and accomplishments.
- Ability to work in the production area, stand and walk for long periods of time, and work with various types of heavy machinery and equipment.
- Ability to operate, or willingness to learn to operate, a forklift and other related equipment for the efficient and safe movement of heavy loads. Understanding your physical capabilities and seeking assistance with lifting and moving kegs, malt, and other heavy objects to avoid injury will be key.
- Ability to occasionally travel and be available on weekends and evenings to participate in tastings and brewery promotions.
- Flexibility in working hours to assure completion of tasks in a timely manner.
If interested, send CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
bmc brewing provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.